Articulation agreements are formal agreements between two institutions. They define how courses completed at one institution can satisfy a subject matter requirement at another college or university for the purposes of admission, transferable units, general education or major preparation.
The articulation process is to ensure that the classes you take at Cañada College will be credited toward your bachelor's degree requirements after you enroll at a university.
Articulation Agreements are divided into 4 types:
- General articulation when the universities are accepting courses for baccalaureate credit
- General Education Breadth Agreement - General Education courses that may also apply to the General Education at other institutions.
- Course to course – this is to identify equivalency of a specific course from sending institution (Cañada College) to a receiving institution.
- Lower division major preparation agreements - this is to identify a group of courses at sending institution (Cañada College) that can fulfill the lower division course requirements for a major at a receiving institution.
The Articulation Agreements between community Colleges and CSU and UC campuses are published in www.assist.org.
This Video will guide you to use ASSIST: Learn about ASSIST, search for major requirements and transferability of courses to CSU and UC, and more .
The Course Identification Numbering system, or C-ID, is a mechanism for identifying comparable courses and facilitating articulation by giving common numbers to community college transferrable courses. Each C-ID number identifies a lower-division, transferable course commonly articulated between the California Community Colleges and universities (including Universities of California, the California State Universities, as well as with many of California's independent colleges and universities).
To assign the C-ID number to a course, intersegmental discipline faculty develops a "Course Descriptor", and all Course Outline of Records (COR) at all community colleges will be compared with "Course Descriptor". Once they are matched, the course will be assigned a C-ID number. In short, C-ID is a method for facilitating articulation, and it is simultaneously a system of providing a common number to comparable courses.
There are no system-wide Articulation Agreements between community colleges and private universities. However, some of them may have established a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the California Community College System Office that grant credits for all associate degree applicable courses. Some of them may have established Transfer Agreements and/or articulation agreements with individual community colleges to ease the transfer process.
In the absence of formal articulation agreements, private universities will review and evaluate students' transcripts course-to-course and will give them credit as appropriate.
The following are some of the agreements between Cañada College and California private universities:
- Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (FIDM) - Course by Course Transfer Agreement
- Golden Gate University - GGU
- Articulation - This will provide information on how to transfer your credits to GGU
- Transfer Tool - this shows courses that are already articulated and transfer to GGU
- Menlo College
- Notre Dame de Namur University - you may also reach out to the University Center at Cañada College to learn about the partnership program with the Bachelor of Science i Business Administration.
- Palo Alto University - You may find more information online under the Transfer Articulation
- Pepperdine University
- Saint Mary's College
- Transfer Information
- Transfer Admission Agreement form
- Transfer Articulation Agreement:
- Core Curriculum Articulation Agreement
- Lower Division Major Agreements:
- Santa Clara University
- Sofia University
- UMASS Global (previously named Brandman University)
- University of the Pacific
- University of San Diego
- University of San Francisco
- University of Southern California - Articulation Agreement with Community Colleges
A list of Private and Independent Universities with California Community College Articulation agreements
The credits you earn at Cañada may transfer to Private and Independent Universities. Please meet with your counselor to explore the articulation agreements and review the transferability of your credits.
There are no formal articulation agreements with out-of-state universities. However, to ease the transition, some of them have developed transfer agreements with individual California Community College campuses (CCCC) or they may have a general agreement to accept credits toward bachelor degree. Regardless, Universities will always review students' courses that are previously completed to determine the transferability of the courses toward their programs and requirements.
The following are some of the agreements between Cañada College out-of state Colleges and Universities:
Gonzaga University – Washington State
Palmer College of Chiropractic: Pre-Chiropractic Curriculum
Southern New Hampshire University
Articulation tools and Specific major requirements at Universities:
- CSU East Bay - PACE Majors
- CSU Los Angeles
- CSU Long Beach
- CAL Poly San Luis Obispo - Major Specific Transfer Criteria
- San Diego State University
- University of San Diego
Transferology is an online articulation tool that shows the equivalence of courses between community Colleges and universities, mostly private and out of state Universities. If you like to know whether your courses are equivalent to courses at a private or out -of-state university, you may explore their website for "Articulation Agreements", "Transfer Credits", or Transferology. You may may also reach out to an Admission advisor at the university regarding transferability of your courses. These are examples.
- CSU East Bay - Course equivalency System provides information between CSU East Bay and other in-state and out of State universities, and Community Colleges.
- San Francisco State University
- San Jose State University Articulation School to school
- University of Hawaii - Course Transfer Database
- University of Nevada Reno - Course Equivalency exploration tool
- University of San Diego - Transfer Equivalency Search tool
- Whittier College
ASSIST.Org : you may explore agreement between Community Colleges, and CSU and UC Campuses - www.assist.org.
CSU College Catalogs:
California State University, Bakersfield
California State University Channel Islands
California State University, Chico
California State University, Dominguez Hills
California State University, East Bay
California State University, Fresno
California State University, Fullerton
Humboldt State University
California State University, Long Beach
California State University, Los Angeles
California State University Maritime Academy
California State University, Monterey Bay
California State University, Northridge
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
California State University, Sacramento
California State University, San Bernardino
San Diego State University
San Francisco State University
San Jose State University
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
California State University San Marcos
Sonoma State University
California State University, Stanislaus
UC College Catalogs
Please note that it is the receiving institution's right whether to credit students for courses completed at another institution.