Academic Senate sets annual goals at the beginning of each academic year. Below is Senate's current annual goals as well as past annual goals since the 2022-23 academic year.
If you would like to suggest a new goal or project, please contact an Academic Senate officer or representative or come to one of our Senate meetings.
The 2023-24 annual goals will be set early in the Fall 2023 semester. If you would like to suggest a new goal or project, please contact an Academic Senate officer or representative or come to one of our Senate meetings.
Class Scheduling Related Goals
- Help inform College and District decisions on teaching modalities
- Help inform District revision of class minimums policy
- Improve transparency around how classes get added or not added
- Discuss process for when to open a new section of a course
- Late Start Classes
- Improve transparency and understanding of which class sections are offered as late state courses
- Discuss general college approach to late state courses
Goals Related to Teaching Challenges
- Host discussions of class attendance and participation
- Better understand and discuss current experiences with multi-modal teaching
- Explore setting standards for multi-modal teaching
- Identify resources needed, such as professional development and technology resources
Textbook Affordability Subcommittee (TAS) Related Goals
- Work with TAS to increase use of Open Educational Resources (OER)/Zero Textbook Cost courses
- Work with TAS to ensure that OER/ZTC resources increases diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti-racism
- Work with TAS to develop other methods of reducing/eliminating textbook costs besides online material/ebooks
- Identify professional development needs for counseling faculty related to offering counseling services in new modalities
- Guide and promote roll out of Peer Online Course Review Workgroup
- Discuss Renewal Process for Reassign Time positions, especially as program-level positions that currently require renewal every two years.
- Finish creation of a Program Improvement and Viability Process
- Improve process for printing requests
Goals that Academic Senate Should Monitor
- Work with District Teaching and Learning (DTL) and District Academic Senate (DAS) to update Academic Honesty policies in order to better address current learning environments
- Monitor and discuss District Academic Senate’s workgroup on class maximums policy
- Monitor and discuss efforts to make student registration process easier and to get students registered earlier
- Monitor AB (Assembly Bill) 1111 and 928. Keep regular communications on developments related to these measures.
- Help ensure there all services are available for evening students
- Identify primary methods and criteria by which students discover and differentiate between Cañada classes and similar classes in other colleges (especially classes that are program entry points).
Notable Ongoing Responsibilities
- Prioritize new faculty position proposals
- Nominations for Academic Senate for California Community Colleges (ASCCC) awards
- Nominations for local college awards