Eligibility and Application
Apply to the Honors Transfer Program online. Click Here.
Students from all backgrounds and in all majors are encouraged to participate in the
Honors Transfer Program! We will accept applications at any time of the year, however
our counseling staff will process applications once per semester. If you meet one
of the due dates shown below, you may be eligible for priority registration the following
Application Due Dates
Fall: September 15
Spring: February 15
Honors Transfer Program Eligibility
To qualify for admission to the Honors Transfer Program a student must meet all of
the following three criteria:
- Be eligible for English 100.
- Be eligible for transfer-level MATH (i.e. 125, 130, 140, 200, 222, 225, 241, or 251
OR be enrolled in any MATH class.
- Have a high school GPA of at least 3.5 or a cumulative college GPA of 3.3 in at least
9 units of transferable courses.
Completion of the Program
Admitted members must complete a minimum of 15 units of honors course credit with
a "C" or better and have a minimum overall 3.3 transfer GPA. A maximum of two courses
can be from Honors contracts.
Note: "transfer GPA" applies to transfer-level courses that you have taken at Cañada
College and other institutions. Make sure that Cañada College has your transcripts
from all of the other colleges you have attended.
Benefits of completing the Honors Transfer Program
- Participation in the courageous pursuit of knowledge
- Priority transfer opportunities at prestigious 4-year institutions through the Honors Transfer Council of California. These may include guaranteed or priority acceptance consideration, special scholarships,
housing priority, pre-transfer library privileges, and a range of other academic,
cultural, and social benefits.
- Priority transfer opportunities at two University of California (UC) campuses:
- UCLA Transfer Alliance Program (TAP) specific to the College of Letters and Science (once admitted, an additional application
is required to enter UCLA's honors program)
- UC Irvine honors-to-honors (admitted students are automatically accepted into UCI's honors
- Special recognition at graduation, and notations on your transcripts and your degree/certificate.
- Possible selection for participation in the Cañada College Research Conference (occurs
every spring semester)
- Possible selection for participation in the Bay Area Honors Symposium (occurs every spring semester)
- Specialized academic advising from the Cañada Honors Counselor
- Enhanced scholarship opportunities from Cañada College and other transfer institutions specific to honors (e.g., Mills College in Oakland, CA; UCLA TAP)
- Priority registration in Cañada/SMCCCD classes
Hear from the students
- This is what one student has to say about starting in ESL classes and working his
way up to Honors classes. click here
- This is what one student has to say about starting in English 836 and working her
way up to Honors English 100. click here
If you have further questions, please contact Professor Susan Mahoney, Honors Transfer
Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, (650) 306-3297, Building 18, room 114.