Associated Students of Cañada College
The Associated Students of Cañada College (ASCC) is the official student government organization of Cañada College
Benchmarks: Leadership, Community, Change, Mentorship
The ASCC office is located with the Center for Student Life and Leadership in building 5 room 354
Spring 2013 ASCC Board meetings
PLACE: 2 -10
Meetings are open to the public. Come join us! If you would like to place an item on the agenda, please contact the Center for Student Life and Leadership Development by Thursdays, Noon, (650) 306-3373.
Vice President- Chris Garcia
Treasurer- Doris Vargas
Commissioner of Activities- Jay Police Rojas
Commissioner of Publicity - Geovanna Moreno
Senators as of February 13
Miguel E. Barrio Ledezma
Juei-Chen (Jerry) Fu
Spring Leadership Retreat. Picture of current ASCC Officers after completing the team building ropes course in Napa, CA.
Do you have what it takes to be Cañada’s Next Student Leader? We believe you do!
ASCC invites all interested students to apply for the ASCC 2013-2014 Board. The term of will be June 1, 2013-May 31, 2014
ASCC Open Positions -President (Runs the Student Government meetings) -Vice President (Is also the President of the Inter-Club Council) -Secretary (Take notes at the meeting) -Treasurer (Manages all the financials of ASCC) -Commissioner of Publicity (Manages ASCC Facebook and Twitter Account and designs flyers) -Commissioner of Activities (Coordinate the Monthly Spirit Thursday Events) -16 Senator Positions (Plans monthly Spirit Thursdays, represents students on campus committees, and more!)
Top 5 things Student Government has done for the Students of Cañada that YOU could do next year by running for ASCC now?
- Back in October, ASCC booked and organized the first Campus Moviefest ever at a CA Community College. Bring it back!!
- Back in December, ASCC brought fresh snow to the campus at the Let it Snow 2.0 Spirit Thursday. Make it a tradition!
- Represented student needs at Regional meetings and at the Statewide General Assembly. Share your story!
- ASCC funded the pizza at the Transfer Fair and Career Fair and burritos at the Student Health Fair. Learn how to run a business meeting!
- ASCC plans and funds almost all the events around campus including; Welcome Back Week, CLUB RUSH, and Spirit Thursdays. Make a real difference!
Minimum Qualifications to Run for Office
- As stated in ASCC Constitution and Bylaws, students must be currently enrolled in at least five (5) or six (6) units of credit at Cañada College depending on position,
- And must have and maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 while running for office and while serving their term in office.
- Must complete the Election Candidate Eligibility Form,
- Candidates must collect fifty (50) signatures of currently enrolled students at Cañada College.
Minimum Levels of Commitment
- Attendance at weekly ASCC board meetings, (Usually 1 hour and 3o minutes on Tuesdays. Subject to change with incoming board needs and availability).
- Complete 1 office hour a week or volunteer at weekly ASCC event.
- When possible, attendance at Statewide Leadership Conferences and Retreats
- Join at least 1 Campus Senate or District Committee (and get paid for it)
Benefits for Serving on the Associated Students of Cañada College * Free ASCC Polo Shirt * Priority Registration with an updated Student Educational Plan * Free Strengths finder 2.0 Personality/Leadership Assessment * Free Attendance at Statewide Leadership conferences * Free Attendance at student government leadership retreats * Free ASCC graduation stole * Free 1st pick of Lunch and Dinner at monthly Spirit Thursdays
Why come out and run for student government?
Why not? What better way to make new friends, discover leadership skills you didn’t even know you had, network, and be the Next Student Leader!
If you have any questions, please contact the Center for Student Life and Leadership Development (650) 306-3364 or stop by at building 5 Rm 354.
Attached is the Election Packet. The Election Packet is due Tuesday, April 23, 5pm. YOU MUST ATTEND A STUDENT GOVERNMENT MEETING prior to turning in your packet.
ASCC Meetings Weekly, Tuesdays 3:15-4:45, Building 2, Rm 10.
Sincerely, Associated Students of Cañada College Election Board
ASCC General Election Schedule
Monday March 18, 2013
10 am, Center for Student Life and Leadership bldg. 5 3rd Floor, Rm 354
Candidate filing period & campaigning begins:
Tues. March 19, Tues. April 9,
Tues. April 16, Tues. April 23
At 3:15-4:45pm Building 2 room 10
Mandatory ASCC Meeting (attendance is mandatory for at least 1 of them.)
*If you cannot make an ASCC mtg, you can volunteer at ASCC Spring Fling Spirit Thursday, Thurs. April 11, 2013 anytime between 10am-7pmth
Tues. April 23rd, 5pm
Final Deadline to have name printed on the ballot Candidate Eligibility forms and collection of signatures must be turned in to Center for Student Life and Leadership by 5pm on this date to have the candidate's name listed on the ballot-provided that all other election requirements have been met.
Thurs. April 25,
Location: The Grove
Election Nominee’s Debate and Meet & Greet This is your day to come out, debate over your reasons why you are the best candidate, meet other candidates, and talk with Cañada College students and campaign! There will be an open mike available. All candidates are advised to be there!
Mon. April 29 & Tues. April 30, 9am-3pm, 4pm-6pm, Quad
Election Polls open:
Wed. May 1st, 12:30
Center for Student Life and Leadership
Election results posted and Pizza Party!
Friday, May 3, Noon, Cañada College Vista Clubhouse
End of the Year Club Awards Luncheon -All newly elected ASCC officers will be introduced at the luncheon.