The Alternate Media Center (AMC)
The Alternate Media Center is part of the Disability Resource Center at Cañada College. It produces instructional materials (textbooks, course materials, exams, class schedules) in alternate format for students with disabilities and provides trainings for students, fauclty, and staff about how to use assistive technology resources such as:
- Kurzweill 3000 – scanning/reading software
- Dragon Naturally Speaking – voice recognition system
- ZoomText Xtra 9 – screen magnification for DSO and Windows
- JAWS – screen reader for windows
In order to access and use the Alternate Media Center, students with disabilities must have basic computer skills and meet eligibility requirements of the Disability Resource Center. For additional information, contact the AMC at 650.306.3170(V) or 650.306.3161 (TDD/TTY).
How to Make an Alternate Media Request
If you are a current DRC student verified to have Alternate Media as an accommodation such as: Kurzweil, Large print, (etc.), please follow these steps:
- Request an updated letter of accommodation (if you have not already) using the DRC Request for Accommodation Letter - Current DRC Students form, from your DRC Counselor with course materials in alternate formats identified as an accommodation.
- Submit a completed Cañada College DRC Alt. Media Request Form as soon as you register for your classes. Requests can be made before you purchase your textbooks and/or course materials.
- Submit your Proof of Purchase (i.e., original receipts) for each textbook and/or course reader (either in person to the Alternate Media Specialist or uploaded through the online Cañada College DRC Alt. Media Request Form
- If you have any questions please contact the DRC's Alt Media Specialist Donald Lariviere at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a current DRC student verified to have a smartpen as an accommodation please follow these steps:
- Request an updated letter of accommodation (if you have not already)using the DRC Request for Accommodation Letter - Current DRC Students form, from your DRC Counselor with smartpen identified as an accommodation
- Contact Celeste Kidd (Instructional Aide II) email@example.com (650) 306-3328 to get a smartpen