Puente Project Mission Statement
Puente Project History
- Succeed academically
- Are recognized as leaders and scholars
- Graduate from four-year colleges and universities
- Belong to a statewide network of leaders and professionals
The Puente Program
Many components work together to prepare Puente students to transfer to four-year colleges and universities:
Puente students take two consecutive writing classes, English 105 and English 110. These classes provide a supportive and stimulating environment for Puente students to build confidence in their writing skills through an exploration of the Mexican American/ Latinx experience.
Puente students take two consecutive counseling classes, Career 137 and Career 110. These classes help students explore career options, develop an academic educational plan and identify lifetime goals. Students visit University of California and California State University campuses and attend an annual Puente student transfer conference. Puente students work closely with their Puente counselor until they graduate.
Puente students are matched with mentors from the business or professional community. Mentors share with students their personal, academic and career experiences, and provide a window into "real life" work environments. The network of trained Puente mentors provides many resources for the Puente students, their families, their colleges, and the community.
- Over 7,000 students have enrolled in the Puente community college program
- Over 2,500 professionals donate over 18,000 hours annually to Puente students
- An estimated 200,000 non-Puente students have benefited form Puente's staff development programs
- Community colleges with Puente programs transfer 44 percent more Latino students to the University of California than colleges without Puente
Cañada College's Puente Project is designed for students who:
- Will enroll in the required English and Career classes each semester: Fall 2021 (English 105 and Career 137) and Spring 2022 (English 110 and Career 110)
- Are fascinated with Latinx literature and culture
- Are interested in participating in out-of-class Puente Project fieldtrips and activities. Examples include: Transfer Motivational Conference, Noche de Familia, Mentor/Mentee Social Mixers, End-of-the-Year Celebration.
- Attend all class sessions
- Are interested in taking part in the Puente Mentoring component
- Are motivated to transfer and complete their educational goals.