Learning Center Orientations
Orientations for all classes are offered at the beginning or every new semester. A campus wide email will be sent out during the first week with instructions on how to sign up.
There are now three different Orientations to choose from:
Basic Orientation: This is the standard Learning Center orientation. We will discuss Learning Center usage, logging in, the Tutoring Program, how to print as well as take a tour of the entire floor. We will also stop and visit various other programs located in the Learning Center (BTO, TRiO, A2B, STEM, MESA), and answer any questions you or the students may have.
Technology Orientation: This is the basic Technology Tour and Orientation. In addition to discussing Learning Center usage, we will cover logging into WebSmart, CANVAS and students email accounts. Students will be shown how to forward emails from their my.smccd.edu to their primary emails. We will also take a short tour to visit Tutoring and other various other programs located in the Learning Center (BTO, TRiO, A2B, STEM, MESA).
Extended Technology Tour: The Extended Technology tour and Orientation is our premier service. Students will be shown how to navigate the Cañada College website, including WebSchedule and bookstore links, WebSmart, Student email accounts and forwarding, Google Drive, Google Docs (or sheets), CANVAS and Turnitin.
If you have any special requests or additions, please list them in the Booking Notes. Thank you
Additional questions about Learning Center Orientations may be directed to Jonathan MacSwain firstname.lastname@example.org 650-306-3468.
Proctoring Services and Guidelines
The Learning Center offers make-up and missed exam proctoring services for Cañada College in-class, online and hybrid courses. Unfortunately, we do not currently proctor exams from Skyline or CSM. Our proctoring area is located adjacent to the front counter of the Learning Center, and is separated from the main lab by half-wall partitions. This means noise level and traffic will vary by time of day. Ear-plugs are provided, but please warn your students it can get loud during peak times.
- Proctoring is primarily for make-up and missed exams. Proctoring for entire classes (e.g. midterms or finals) must be arranged prior to the start of the semester.
- All exams must be dropped off and picked up in person. We proctor over 600 exams per semester, and do not accept tests via email. It is the instructor's responsibility to print enough copies for their students, and pick up exams when they are completed.
- The Learning Center does not regularly provide, nor may be able to provide, laptops or computers for testing.
- A provided instruction sheet must be filled out and completed for exams. Student names should be provided when available.
- Learning Center staff will follow directions on instruction sheet, and contact instructors in the event of discrepancies.
- All students must show photo identification (driver's license, state id, student body card, etc.).
- Students will be required to log in with their G# to test, and will log out when finished.
- Students are ultimately responsible for keeping their own time (we will let them know how much time the tests allow, and remind them if possible).
- No electronic devices are allowed in the testing area.
- In the event cheating is suspected, Learning Center staff will confiscate the exams and provide notes about the occurrence.
If you have any questions or would like clarification about Learning Center Proctoring, please contact Jonathan MacSwain email@example.com 650-306-3468
Do you have a great student in your class? They might make a great tutor! This is a paid position on campus ($13.50/hr starting), with flexible hours.
Potential tutors exhibit some of the following traits:
- Works well with others
- Willingness to help
- Solid understanding of the material (B's or better)
- Faculty Recommendation Form (requires signature)
If you've seen some (or all) of these traits in your students, please recommend them to Julian Taylor (Tutor Coordinator) in the Learning Center! firstname.lastname@example.org 650-306-3459