The Kinesiology, Athletics and Dance Department offers a variety of activity classes designed for lifetime enhancement of fitness, recreation and leisure time. Classes in dance, individual sports, fitness and team sports are offered at various levels of performance. Beginning classes introduce an activity; intermediate to advanced courses are designed to improve an already existing skill level.
The Kinesiology Department offers a Kinesiology transfer curriculum to a four-year university, and an AS Degree and certificate in Fitness Professional. The Fitness Professional AS degree and certificate programs are designed to give students enough practical and formal training so that they can obtain a job as a personal trainer in the fitness industry. The demand for fitness professional jobs continues to remain high.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Students completing this program will be able to:
- Recognize and evaluate the importance of physical activity in leading a healthy, functional lifestyle and in creating or increasing a sense of well-being.
Assessment: written test, student log.
- Exhibit interpersonal communication, cooperative relationships and social interaction within diverse and dynamic environments.
Assessment: Observation, group projects.
- Analyze and understand the discipline of kinesiology to apply appropriate scientific and quantitative conclusions to physical activity.
Assessment: written exam, portfolio, case studies.
- Demonstrate and improve fitness components along with alignment, body positioning, special awareness, or rhythm while performing exercise movements.
Assessment: Pre and post testing, observation with rubric
- Demonstrate professional and ethical decision-making and civic responsibility when applying knowledge of kinesiology.
Assessment: Written exam, role playing/observation, case studies.