Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T)
California Community Colleges are now offering associate degrees for transfer to the CSU. These may include Associate in Arts (AA-T) or Associate in Science (AS-T) degrees. These degrees are designed to provide a clear pathway to a CSU major and baccalaureate degree. California Community College students who are awarded an AA-T or AS-T degree are guaranteed admission with junior standing somewhere in the CSU system and given priority admission consideration to their local CSU campus or to a program that is deemed similar to their community college major. This priority does not guarantee admission to specific majors or campuses.
Students who have been awarded an AA-T or AS-T are able to complete their remaining requirements for the 120-unit baccalaureate degree within 60 semester or 90 quarter units.
The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees:
1. Completion of 60 CSU-transferable semester units. (update as of 8/29/13)
2. Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with a counselor for more information.
3. Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an “AA-T” or “AS-T” major as detailed in the Associate Degrees and Certificates section of the College Catalog. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better.
4. Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth); OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern .
Students transferring to a CSU campus that does accept the AA-T or AS-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major). This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a counselor when planning to complete the degree for more information on university admission and transfer requirements.
AA-T and AS-T degrees at Cañada College
At the time of catalog publication, a student may earn an AA/AS-T in
- Art History
- Business Administration
- Communication Studies
- Computer Science
- Early Childhood Education/Child Development
- Elementary Education
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Political Science
- Studio Arts
- Theatre Arts
To view the most current list of Cañada College’s Associate Degrees for Transfer and to find out which CSU campuses accept each degree, please go to A Degree with a Guarantee.
Current and prospective community college students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review their options for transfer and to develop an educational plan that best meets their goals and needs.
More information abouthe the SB1440 and Transfer Degree is available at: adegreewithaguarantee.com.