slide 2
slide 3
slide 4
slide 5
slide 6
slide 7
slide 8
slide 9
slide 10
slide 11
slide 12
slide 13
slide 14

Maps, Directions & Parking
Find Your Way to Cañada College and Around Campus

Class Schedule
A Complete List of Classes




On-Campus Employment: Students may work on campus up to 20 hours per week. The employment will be contingent upon job availability on campus. Students must have a social security number (SSN) to work on-campus.

Off-campus Employment: Students on F-1 student status are not eligible to work off-campus without employment authorization.  After completing two semesters as an F-1 student, students may apply for employment authorization based on enrollment in cooperative education or practicum units within your field of study or based on unforeseen, severe, economic hardship.  Students must contact the International Student Center to request employment authorization before starting any work off-campus.

Social Security Number (SSN): Students may apply for a SSN after obtaining an employment offer on campus or employment authorization for off-campus employment.  Students must provide an employment offer letter to the International Student Center to obtain an SSN Eligibility Letter to apply for a SSN.  Students must take both letters and all immigration documents to a Social Security Administration office to apply for an SSN.  After obtaining an SSN, students must provide a copy of their SSN card to their employer.


F-1 international students are required to file federal taxes forms. Note: The International Student Center will provide workshops on how to submit tax forms in the spring semester but does not provide any type of tax advise.

Internal Revenue Services (IRS) forms

California State Taxes


Cañada College does not offer on-campus housing. Below is a list of housing options and resources.  New students should secure housing before arriving in the U.S. and plan to arrive at least two weeks before the start of the semester to attend the New International Student Orientation and to adjust to the surrounding areas.

International Student Placement (ISP) has successfully placed thousands of international students with host families in the San Francisco Bay Area. They place each student in a living situation where they will feel comfortable and secure. ISP host families are personally interviewed in their home, screened and selected for the program. Host homes are located within a reasonable distance to the student's school, typically within a 5-mile radius.  Download and complete application form ( Telephone: +1-650-947-8879

International Collegiate Residence of San Mateo (ICR) is dedicated to serving the  housing and transportation needs of international students attending Cañada College, College of San Mateo, and Skyline College. ICR is conveniently located next to a shopping center with restaurants in a safe neighborhood in San Mateo. All international student residents enjoy shuttle service several times a day. Breakfast is provided 7  days a week. Lunches and dinners are provided through student vouchers at restaurants nearby.  Visit the website at (  Telephone: +1-650-228-9545

Cañada College Housing Board allows students and community members to list available rooms for rent or help students seek roommates.  The Housing Board can be found on campus next to the Center for Student Life & Leadership Development in Building 5, Room 354.  The Housing Board can also be downloaded online at:


All international students on F-1 student visa are automatically charged a $600 health insurance fee each semester.  The health insurance coverage is a 12 month plan from January 15-July 31 for the spring semester and August 1-January 14 for the fall semester.  Health insurance does not cover dental and vision services but may be purchased for an additional charge.  International students with dependents may also purchase additional insurance for spouses or children.  For detailed information about health insurance coverage, file a claim form for medical expenses, and how to find a doctor, log onto


If you would like to receive credit for classes you have taken in your country, you must send your foreign transcripts to any of the foreign credential evaluation service listed below and submit an online transcript evaluation request at

World Educational Services (WES)

Academic Credential Evaluation Institute (ACEI)

International Education Research Foundation (IERF)


California Community Colleges System

Language Translator

Share this page on: