Apply for Admission
Application deadlines:July 1 for the Fall semester (August to December)November 15 for the Spring semester (January to May)
Steps to apply for admission:
1. Submit an online international student admissions application at the San Mateo Community College District International Education website.2. Submit the following supporting documents:
- $50 Admissions Application Fee
- Financial documents showing funds of at least $20,500 to cover the first year of expenses.
- Proof of English proficiency (TOEFL: 480 paper-base; 56 internet-base or IELTS: 5.5)
- Academic transcripts from all high schools and colleges/universities attended with English translations.
- Personal essay explaining your educational and professional goals.
- Copy of your valid passport.
Supporting documents may be emailed to email@example.com. However, official score reports showing English language proficiency must be submitted directly to Cañada College before an acceptance letter and I-20 is mailed. Original transcripts must be submitted and may be submitted upon arrival at Cañada College. Your application and supporting documents will be evaluated and a decision will be emailed within 1-5 business days of receiving all supporting documents. If admitted, an acceptance package with your acceptance letter, I-20 certificate of eligibility for an F-1 student visa and other important information will be mailed to you by U.S. Postal Service Express delivery service.
3. Once you receive your acceptance packet, you must pay a SEVIS fee at www.fmjfee.com and schedule a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy in your country of residence. Find a list of U.S. embassies here: www.usembassy.gov and find out visa wait times here: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/wait-times.html. Bring all your supporting documents, your acceptance letter and I-20 to the visa interview. Canadian citizens are not required to apply for an F-1 visa at the U.S. Embassy but will request F-1 student status when entering the U.S. by presenting all supporting documents at U.S. Customs & Border Protection.
4. Upon entering the U.S., please present your passport with F-1 student visa stamp, your acceptance letter, I-20 and financial documents to the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer. The CBP officer will review your documents and issue an electronic I-94 arrival/departure record as an F-1 student. Please check your electronic I-94 record to ensure that you have been granted F-1 student status at www.cbp.gov/i94.
5. All new and transfer international students must attend a 3-day International Student Orientation starting on the program start date listed on your I-20 (2 weeks before the start of the semester). You can find a list of important semester dates, including holidays and the end of the semester here: http://canadacollege.edu/admissions/calendar.php.
International students who are currently in F-1 student status and interested in transferring to Cañada College must follow the steps above to apply for admission. After being admitted to Cañada College, students will receive an acceptance letter and Transfer Form. Admitted students should submit a copy of their acceptance letter and Transfer Form to your previous college/university to request a SEVIS transfer.
International transfer students who are interested in transferring credits from another U.S. college/university must first be admitted to Cañada College and register for classes before submitting a request for a transcript evaluation here: http://www.smccd.edu/transeval/.
International students currently in F-1 student status and interested in taking class(es) at Cañada College while studying at another U.S. college/university must follow the steps below.
1. Submit an online Open CCC application.
2. Submit the following supporting documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Copy of passport
- Copy of I-20 from currently enrolled school
- Copy of I-94 record (www.cbp.gov/i94)
- Letter from current school approving list of approved Cañada College classes
CHANGE OF IMMIGRATION STATUS
Prospective students on a nonimmigrant visa (B-2 or J-1) who are interested in changing immigration status to F-1 student visa without leaving the U.S., must follow the steps above on how to apply for admission to Cañada College. The International Student Center can assist you in submitting a Change of Status application to USCIS. Please call or email for additional information on how to submit a Change of Status application.