Frequently Asked Questions
Honors Transfer Program Questions:
I am interested in becoming a member of the Honors Transfer Program. Who’s eligible?
To qualify for admission to the Honors Transfer Program a student must have the following two criteria:
- Be eligible for English 100 and MATH 125, 130, 140, 200, 222, 241, or 251.
- Have a high school GPA of at least 3.5 or a cumulative college GPA of 3.3 in at least 9 units of transferable courses.
How do I apply for the Honors Transfer Program?
Submit this application online. Applications will be reviewed several times a semester. Applications will not be reviewed over the summer.
How do I complete the Honors Transfer Program?
To complete the Program, students must complete a minimum of 15 units of honors course credit, and have a minimum 3.3 transfer GPA. A maximum of two courses can be from Honors' contracts.
Note: "transfer GPA" applies to transfer-level courses that you have taken at Cañada College and other institutions. Make sure that Cañada College has your transcripts from all of the other colleges you have attended. Contracts in 695 Independent Study may NOT be used for UCLA TAP certification, however they do count toward Cañada College’s Honors Transfer Program graduation and completion.
What are the benefits of being a member of the Honors Transfer Program?
- Priority registration in Cañada/SMCCCD
- Specialized academic advising from the Cañada Honors Counselor
What are the benefits of completing the Honors Transfer Program?
- The Cañada College Honors Transfer Program is a member of the Honors Transfer Council of California. As an HTCC member we can offer students the transfer agreements that are found on the HTCC website: http://htcca.org/directors-counselors-faculty/transfer-agreements/
- In addition, the College is a member of the UCLA Transfer Alliance Program. As a member of the UCLA TAP we can offer students transfer agreement found on the UCLA TAP website: http://www.ugeducation.ucla.edu/tap/
- Priority transfer opportunities at prestigious 4 – year institutions through the Honors Transfer Council of California http://www.honorstcc.org/transfer/agreements.html
- Special recognition at graduation and on transcripts
- Enhanced scholarship opportunities http://www.canadacollege.edu/financialaid/scholarship.php
Honors Contract Questions:
What is an Honors Contract? The courses using Honors Contracts provide honors credit to the student who is currently enrolled in a non-honors class. The Honors Contract is individually negotiated between the faculty member and the student and must be completed by the end of the semester.
How do I complete the Honors Contract? There are two steps to follow: (1) Submit an Honors Contract Proposal and (2) Complete and sign the Honors Project Completion Form. The proposal must be submitted online by week 9 of the semester. The Honors Project Completion Form must be signed by the faculty member and the student and submitted by end of the semester (no later than finals week).
What should I know about Honors Contract?
- Students can only use two courses in which Honors' contracts were used toward UCLA TAP certification, graduation or transfer as an Honors Transfer Program graduate.
- Contracts in 695 Independent Study may NOT be used for UCLA TAP certification, however they do count toward Cañada College’s Honors Transfer Program graduation and completion.
- Contracts must be approved by the full time, discipline coordinator. Please plan accordingly.
What are the benefits of completing an Honors course?
- Personal benefits of doing higher-caliber work
- Participation in the Cañada College Research Conference
- Possible selection for participation in the Bay Area Honors Symposium http://www.losmedanos.edu/honors/research