Eligibility and Application
Students from all backgrounds and in all majors are encouraged to participate in Honors classes. You are encouraged to submit your application at any time of year. Our counseling staff will process applications twice per year:Fall 2014
Deadline: September 30, 2014
Notification: October 15, 2014
Deadline: February 27, 2015
Notification: March 13, 2015
Students from all backgrounds and in all majors are encouraged to participate in Honors classes.
Apply to the Honors Transfer Program online. Click Here.
Honors Contract Application (2-Step Process) - NEW!
Due by the Ninth Week of the Semester
Due by the end of the Semester (Faculty and Student signatures are required)
For more information about Honors Contracts, please see the Frequently Asked Questions.
To qualify for admission to the Honors Transfer Program a student must have both of the following two criteria:
- Be eligible for English 100 and MATH 125, 130, 140, 200, 222, 241, or 251.
- Have a high school GPA of at least 3.5 or a cumulative college GPA of 3.3 in at least 9 units of transferable courses.
Any student who participates in an honors-level course and/or applies for membership, but is not qualified for full membership will be considered a Provisional Member. These students will be encouraged to continue with their interest in honors-level studies and will be considered for admission as soon as they have achieved the entrance requirements.
Completion of the Program
To complete the Program, students must complete a minimum of 15 units of honors course credit, and have a minimum 3.3 transfer GPA. A maximum of six of these units can be in contract courses. Students in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) majors must complete at least three units in non-STEM coursework. Students in the liberal arts and sciences or non-science career technical majors must complete at least 3 units in STEM coursework.
Note: "transfer GPA" applies to transfer-level courses that you have taken at Cañada College and other institutions. Make sure that Cañada College has your transcripts from all of the other colleges you have attended.
Benefits of CCHTP Membership
- Participation in the courageous pursuit of knowledge
- Priority transfer opportunities at prestigious 4 – year institutions through the Honors Transfer Council of California http://www.honorstcc.org/transfer/agreements.html
- Special recognition at graduation and on transcripts
- Participation in the Cañada College Research Conference
- Possible selection for participation in the Bay Area Honors Symposium http://www.losmedanos.edu/honors/research
- Specialized academic advising from the Cañada Honors Counselor
- Enhanced scholarship opportunities http://www.canadacollege.edu/financialaid/scholarship.php
- Priority registration in Cañada/SMCCCD classes
Hear from the students
- This is what one student has to say about starting in ESL classes and working his way up to Honors classes. click here
- This is what one student has to say about starting in English 836 and working her way up to Honors English 100. click here