Eligibility and Application
Apply to the Honors Transfer Program online. Click Here.
Students from all backgrounds and in all majors are encouraged to participate in the Honors Transfer Program. You are encouraged to submit your application at any time of year. Our counseling staff will process applications twice per year (applications will not be reviewed over the summer)
Deadline: September 30, 2015
Notification: October 15, 2015
Deadline: March 4, 2016
Notification: March 20, 2016
Students from all backgrounds and in all majors are encouraged to participate in Honors classes.
Honors Transfer Program Eligibility
To qualify for admission to the Honors Transfer Program a student must have both of the following two criteria:
- Be eligible for English 100 and MATH 125, 130, 140, 200, 222, 241, or 251.
- Have a high school GPA of at least 3.5 or a cumulative college GPA of 3.3 in at least 9 units of transferable courses.
Completion of the Program
Students must complete a minimum of 15 units of honors course credit with a "C" or better and have a minimum overall 3.3 transfer GPA. A maximum of two courses can be from Honors contracts.
Note: "transfer GPA" applies to transfer-level courses that you have taken at Cañada College and other institutions. Make sure that Cañada College has your transcripts from all of the other colleges you have attended.
Benefits of completing the Honors Transfer Program
- Participation in the courageous pursuit of knowledge
- Priority transfer opportunities at prestigious 4-year institutions through the Honors Transfer Council of California. These may include guaranteed or priority acceptance consideration, special scholarships, housing priority, pre-transfer library privileges, and a range of other academic, cultural, and social benefits.
- Priority transfer opportunities at two University of California (UC) campuses:
- Special recognition at graduation, and notations on your transcripts and your degree/certificate.
- Possible selection for participation in the Cañada College Research Conference (occurs every spring semester)
- Possible selection for participation in the Bay Area Honors Symposium (occurs every spring semester)
- Specialized academic advising from the Cañada Honors Counselor
- Enhanced scholarship opportunities from Cañada College and other transfer institutions specific to honors (e.g., Mills College in Oakland, CA; UCLA TAP)
- Priority registration in Cañada/SMCCCD classes
Hear from the students
- This is what one student has to say about starting in ESL classes and working his way up to Honors classes. click here
- This is what one student has to say about starting in English 836 and working her way up to Honors English 100. click here
If you have further questions, please contact Professor Jessica Kaven, Honors Transfer Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, (650) 306-3347, Building 3, room 211.