Welcome to the Dance Department!
The Dance Department is committed to successfully prepare students for transfer to a 4-year university dance programs and provide the foundation and skills to enter the dance profession. Our dance program prepares students to improve their level of body technique, performance and expression.
The dance classes are open to everybody and we encourage all students to include some aspect of performing arts during their studies at Canada College. The goal of the dance department is to introduce students to the joy of movement through dance.
We offer classes in dance technique and production. As a result of studying and experiencing the dance, students experience strong self-discipline. They achieve higher test scores, increased self-awareness and greater confidence.
In addition to offering a variety of technique courses, Canada College organizes dance performance every semester and includes opportunities for students to choreograph and perform their work.
Careers in Dance
Career opportunities include Dance Performers, Dance Instructors, Dance Teachers, Dance Aerobics Instructors and Choreographers.
Dancers perform in a variety of settings, including opera, musical theater, and other musical productions. They also perform in television, movies, music videos, and commercials, in which they may sing and act.
Choreographers and Dance Instructors create original dances, teach dance and develop new interpretations of existing dances. They work in theaters, dance schools, dance and movie studios, and at fashion shows, and are involved in auditioning performers for dance parts.
Students are dancing Ballet
Student are dancing Cha Cha
Program Learning Outcomes:
Students completing this program will be able to:
- Recognize and evaluate the importance of physical activity in leading a healthy, functional lifestyle and in creating or increasing a sense of well-being.
Assessment: written test, student log.
- Exhibit interpersonal communication, cooperative relationships and social interaction within diverse and dynamic environments.
Assessment: Observation, group projects.
- Analyze and understand the discipline of kinesiology to apply appropriate scientific and quantitative conclusions to physical activity.
Assessment: written exam, portfolio, case studies.
- Demonstrate and improve fitness components along with alignment, body positioning, special awareness, or rhythm while performing exercise movements.
Assessment: Pre and post testing, observation with rubric
- Demonstrate professional and ethical decision-making and civic responsibility when applying knowledge of kinesiology.
Assessment: Written exam, role playing/observation, case studies.