Here’s how we help you find the right courses:
- We will use the information you entered into CCCApply when you applied to Cañada. This typically includes your overall High School Grade Point Average (GPA) and which English and Math courses you took in high school.
- If you did not submit this information in CCCApply, you can submit it (or update it) any time in WebSMART:
- Go to www.websmart.smccd.edu
- Go to the top of the page and Click on the "Student" tab, and under the "Student Services" section, select the link for "Student Records"
- In the "Student Records" page, select "High School Transcript Information"
- Fill out the appropriate fields in this section.
- You can also send us an email that includes your G Number, High School GPA, and High School Math and English course titles and grades along with your unofficial High School Transcripts. Please send your email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can also submit electronic copies of the following documents when you meet with an academic counselor:
- AP Scores (Results may not be conditional)
- Unofficial Transcripts from another College or University
Don't have U.S. high school records?
If you don't have U.S. high school records, did not complete at least 11th grade in a U.S. high school, graduated from a non-U.S. high school or you are an international student, an academic counselor can help inform you of your options.
English Language Learners
If you speak a language other than English and feel that you would benefit from taking classes in our English as a Second Language (ESL) Department, you may choose to place yourself into the ESL course sequence. An academic counselor will explain the many options you have for determining which ESL class is right for you.
ESL Placement Testing is offered in person or over zoom through individual appointments scheduled by contacting us at email@example.com or (650) 306-3452.
The placement test takes approximately 2 and 1/2 hours to complete. This is a proctored test; if test is taken via zoom, the lapotop or computer must have a camera.
After the ESL placement test is complete, you may schedule an appointment with an academic counselor using the link below.
Know your rights!
As a California Community College student, you have the right to begin your education in transfer-level English and math courses, which will allow you to finish these courses within a year and graduate faster.
As an English Language Learner at Cañada, you have the right to enter and complete an associate degree or transfer to a 4-year college in English within three years of beginning your English and a Second Language (ESL) coursework at Cañada. If you were placed into ESL coursework prior to fall 2020 you have the right to be re-placed with our new process- this may allow you to finish your ESL sequence faster. To discuss your options:
Learn more about new state law and your rights as a California community college student: California Community Colleges and AB 705.
Based on your High School Grade Point Average and your intended major or program of study, here is how you will likely be placed at Cañada College:
Many high school students can place into English or math classes by sending their high school transcripts directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. For other non-English/non-math classes with prerequisites, high school students who have not completed equivalent college course work will need to have Prerequsitie Challenge Form approved by the instructor of the class. If students have additional questions they can make an appointment to meet with a college counselor by calling (650) 306-3452.