Main ContentSection Title
Distance Education Advisory Committee
Instructional Design Resources for Distance Education
In addition to the training opportunities for online teaching available at SMCCCD and beyond, here are some resources for improving your online
course design and teaching.
Course Design and Development
- Quality Checklist (Northern Arizona University) - This useful checklist is based on Chickering and Gamson's Seven Principles of Good
- Seven Principles of Effective Teaching: A Practical Lens for Evaluating Online Courses - 2001 article that provides guidelines for online teaching, based on the widely-used
principles outlined in the classic 1987 Chickering and Gamson article (Chickering,
A., & Gamson, Z. (1987), Seven principles of good practice in undergraduate education,
AAHE Bulletin, 39, 3-7).
- @One Standards for Quality Online Teaching - The @One Project, which is funded by the California Community College Chancellor's
Office, provides training on technology and distance education.
- Specific Activities that Promote Online Discussion - One of a number of online education resources from the Illinois Online Network.
- Resources for Developing Online Interaction - Links to resources for improving online discussions provided on the blog Online
- MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching) - A collection of peer-reviewed online learning materials for higher education.
- Guide to Evaluating Distance Education and Correspondence Education (ACCJC/WASC)
Schedule a Tour