Admissions & Records


Student Residency Categories

Residency status is determined by the information provided by the student on the Application for Admissions. Students who do not meet residency requirements will be classified as non-residents for tuition purposes only. “In order to establish a residence, it is necessary that there be a union of act and intent.”

You are a resident if:

  • You intend to make California home for other than temporary purposes.
  • You have lived in California one year and one day prior to the start of the semester and meet eligibility requirements for establishing California residency.
  • You have applied or received your immigrant status one year and a day prior to the start of the semester in addition to the above requirement.

You are a non-resident if the following is less than a year before the first day of term you plan to attend:

  • You have not lived in California one year and one day prior to the start of the semester, even though you are a U.S. citizen or legal immigrant.
  • You have registered and voted in a state other than California.
  • You have petitioned for divorce in a state other than California.
  • You have attended an out-of-state educational Institution as a resident of that state.
  • You have declared non-residence for California State income tax purposes.
  • You have been approved for admission as an International Student (F1).
  • You are in the United States on a temporary visa/non-immigrant status.

AB 540

Under Assembly Bill 540 (AB540), you may be exempt from paying non-resident tuition if you have attended a combination of elementary and/or secondary schools in California for a total of three years AND received a California high school diploma or its equivalent, such as a GED or passing the high school proficiency exam (CHSPE).  If you are qualified, please complete the AB540 form and submit it by fax (650) 306- 3113, by mail, or in-person. Obtain the form from our web site:, or from the Admission and Records office.

This law does not apply to non-immigrant students such as F, H, or J, visa holders.

This law does not change or grant residency status; it exempts students from non-resident tuition.
There is no time limit on how far in the past the student might have attended and graduated from a California high school.

The students who meet the exemption requirements may be eligible for any state-funded programs awards such as Extended Opportunity Program and Services (EOPS), or Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW). U.S. Citizens or legal residents may qualify for federal aid.

The information submitted to the College will remain confidential.

AB 540 and Residency Reclassification forms are available at Other resources: