Spring Semester: A Guide for New StudentsTue, 7 January, 2014 at 9:34 am
So, you are preparing for your first day of the new semester and you want it to go as smooth as possible. We're here to help. If you take a few simple steps and do a little planning you'll have no problem. Let's get started.
- Arrive Early- If you pull onto campus 10 minutes before class starts you're off to a bad start. Parking on a college campus is never easy. Give yourself at least 20 minutes. Remember, you're not going to have Rock Star parking next to your class. Be sure to review the parking map and have a contingency plan. Student Lots are Lot 1, Lot 7, Lot 8, Lot 10 and Lot 6. You'll eventually need to buy a parking permit but campus security will not issue tickets the first week of school. If you are using public transportation, SamTrans Route 274 can bring you straight to Cañada from the Redwood City CalTrain station.
- Know Where You Are Going - Because you plan ahead, you have a great parking spot. But how do you get to your classes? Luckily, the Cañada campus is not that big. Review the campus map and your schedule of classes. Buildings at Cañada are numbered and each room in the building has its own number. On your schedule the class location will look something like this, 3-113. The first number (3) is the building number and the second number (113) is the classroom within the building. If you can't find a class, ask one of the Campus Ambassadors. You can find them in the Information Booths on the quad or at the entrance to the Library off Parking Lot 1. You can also find help at the Welcome Center on the first floor of Building 9.
- Get to Know Building 9 - All essential student services are located in this three-story building. On the first floor you'll find Admissions/Records, Counseling, Financial Aid, Cashier’s Office, PublicSafety/Parking, EOPS/CARE/CalWorks, and more. The Learning Center is on the second floor. Here you can use the computers, work with academic tutors, and study in groups. The Library is located on the top floor. Make a point to visit this building on your first day of class.
- The Bookstore - It's college, so you're going to need books. Because you are a college student, you'll also need a soda, bag of chips and candy bar. You can get them all at the bookstore. It's located across from the Main Theater and Gymnasium. The first couple of weeks, the lines are long because everyone is buying books. The lines are shorter in the mid-afternoon.
- The PonyEspresso - Ok, it's not essential to know where the coffee shop is located, but you never know when you'll need a cup. The coffee kiosk is located in the Upper Quad near the entrance of Building 13. It's a favorite hangout for students and if you stand around long enough you'll meet new friends or find somebody you know.
- The Grove – This is the Student Center at Cañada. It’s a great place to meet friends, study, and grab a bite to eat. There is a full cafeteria, a video game room, and Career Center. If you need a job, talk to Bob in the Career Center.
- Student Life & Leadership Office - Located adjacent to the Grove, the Student Life & Leadership Office coordinates student government, clubs, the game room, and a variety of events on campus. Look for announcements regarding Spirit Thursdays. They feature a variety of activities and free food!
- Smoke-Free Campus - If you want to smoke you'll have to do it in designated parking lots because Cañada is a smoke-free campus. Feel free to light up in Lots 1, 7, 6, 8, 10 & 5.
- Go to Class- This seems like a no-brainer, right? Well, every semester, there are students that don't show up for class. Because classes are crowded, if you don't show up, you can be dropped from the class. If you are on a wait list to get into a full class, it's even more important to show up on the first day to talk to the professor and see if you can add the class.