Each year, the three colleges of the San Mateo County Community College District -- Cañada College, College of San Mateo, and Skyline College -- award institutional scholarships to new, continuing, and transfer students. The scholarship awards are based on academic achievement, financial need or specific interests such as clubs, athletics, and service.
Funding for our scholarships comes from contributions to San Mateo County Community Colleges Foundation. The Foundation is the colleges' partner in promoting student success at our colleges and in ensuring that quality, affordable higher education is available to every member of our community. It is due to the ongoing generosity of donors since the Foundation's inception in 1966 that many thousands of students have attended college and realized a better life. Contributions to the Foundation are received from many sources: individuals (including Cañada, College of San Mateo, and Skyline alumni, faculty, and staff), businesses, civic groups, community organizations, and other foundations. For more information about San Mateo County Community Colleges Foundation, please visit www.smcccfoundation.org.
The 2014-15 Cañada College Scholarship Application is now open. In order to apply for scholarships, students must have a college-issued "my.smcccd.edu" email address and be enrolled within the San Mateo County Community College District (Cañada College, College of San Mateo and Skyline College). If you are not currently enrolled for fall 2013 or spring 2014 semesters but plan to attend next year, please Apply for Admissions to attend the summer 2014 or fall 2014 semesters. Once admitted, you will be sent your "my.smccd.edu" email address and be able to apply for our scholarship program.
Please click HERE to view our Scholarship Opportunities and apply. If you are a new applicant, click the Sign Up button to create your account. If a returning applicant, click Sign In to complete or update your scholarship application. The Application Deadline is February 14, 2014 at 11:59 p.m.
Please check back soon as we will be posting several Scholarship Application Workshop dates.
- STEM Center Scholarship page: http://www.canadacollege.edu/stemcenter/scholarships.php
- See list of funding opportunities for Non-U.S. Citizens. Published by the National Association of Fellowship Advisors (NAFA); includes applications for an array of nationally competitive and merit-based scholarships.
- Educators for Fair Consideration (E4FC) - List of scholarships that don't require proof of U.S. citizenship or legal permanent residence. This carefully researched list contains 52 pages of up-to-date information about scholarships available for immigrant students that don't have U.S. citizenship or legal permanent residency as well as advice and tips for writing winning scholarship applications.
- EngineeringDegree.com/Scholarships - a comprehensive database of scholarships for anyone interested in pursuing an engineering degree
- Scholarships for California Students - Since 2003, StudentScholarships.org has been providing scholarship management services for companies, as well as a comprehensive database of scholarships for students.
- MALDEF - Mexican-American Legal Defense and Education Fund Scholarship List - A list of scholarships for all students regardless of immigration status. http://maldef.org/leadership/scholarships
- Latino College Dollars, Scholarships for California's Latino Students Directory (current) - The Latino College Dollars Scholarship Directory contains clear information on more than 300 scholarships targeting Latino high school, undergraduate, and graduate students across the United States. A guide on how to apply for scholarships in both Spanish and English is included in the directory. For the ease of students and parents, scholarship listings are categorized by education level, deadline, minimum GPA, by whether citizenship is required as well as by region. The online directory is searchable by key categories such as grade level, grade point average (GPA) and citizenship at http://www.latinocollegedollars.org.
$20,000 Karl S. Pister Leadership Opportunity Award Program at UC Santa Cruz for 2014-15
For students applying to transfer to UC Santa Cruz in 2014-15. Deadline: February 3, 2014 by 4:30 PM
- Apply to UCSC by November 30th, 2013
- Apply for financial aid by submitting FAFSA or California Dream Act application by March 2nd, 2014
- Complete and submit the following documents to the Cañada College Transfer Center by the deadline, February 3, 2014, no later than 4:30p.m.
- Scholarship application
- Personal statement attached to application(single-sided paper, no staples)
- Two letters of recommendationAll official college transcripts (unopened)
See application for full details and eligibility criteria.
Contact: Soraya Sohrabi, Transfer Services Coordinator
Office: (650) 306-3493
The Achievement Award Program (TAAP) Scholarship at UC Berkeley
This is a scholarship opportunity offered through the Cal Alumni Association. The scholarship is available to incoming freshmen and community college transfer students, including AB 540 Students. TAAP seeks high-achieving, community service-oriented students and provides them with the financial capital necessary to fund their higher education. In addition, the program fosters a strong support network with Berkeley alumni and provides academic, professional, and personal guidance as students pursue their individual academic journeys at the university.
For more information, please see http://alumni.berkeley.edu/services/scholarships/achievement-award-program or brochure
For prospective Cal Junior Transfers:
• November: Prospective students file UC Berkeley application
• December 15: TAAP application opens
• December–February: Students apply online for The Achievement Award Program (TAAP)
• April–May: Finalists interview with alumni for the award
• June: Recipients are notified
Should you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns, please email: email@example.com
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR STUDENTS GOING UNCLAIMED: Unused funds are being returned to donating companies. A large amount of scholarship money that has been set aside by companies for deserving minority students are either collecting dust of or being returned to businesses because of a lack of interest. The following is a list of scholarships and their Web addresses to pass along to friends and family members with college-bound kids so that this free money will not go to waste. (Please note, the Cañada College Financial Aid Odffice has not checked all of these websites below).
Bell Labs Fellowships for under-represented minorities http://www.bell-labs.com/
Student Inventors Scholarships http://www.invent.org/collegiate/
Student Video Scholarshipshttp://www.christophers.org/vidcon2k.html
Coca-Cola Two-Year College Scholarshiphttp://www.coca-colascholars.org/programs.html
Holocaust Remembrance Scholarships http://holocaust.hklaw.com/
Ayn Rand Essay Scholarships http://www.aynrand.org/contests/
Brand Essay Competition http://www.instituteforbrandleadership.org/IBLEssayContest-2002Rules.htm
Gates Millennium Scholarships http://www.gmsp.org/nominationmaterials/read.dbm?ID=12
Xerox Scholarships for Students http://www2.xerox.com/go/xrx/about_xerox/about_xerox_detail.jsp
Sports Scholarships and Internshiphttp://www.ncaa.org/about/scholarships.html
National Assoc. of Black Journalists Scholarships (NABJ) http://www.nabj.org/html/studentsvcs.html
Saul T. Wilson Scholarships (Veterinary) http://www.aphis.usda.gov/mb/mrphr/jobs/stw.html
Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund http://www.thurgoodmarshallfund.org/sk_v6.cfm
Fin Aid: The Smart Students Guide to Financial Aid scholarships http://www.finaid.org
Presidential Freedom Scholarships http://www.nationalservice.org/scholarships/
Microsoft Scholarship Program http://www.microsoft.com/college/scholarships/minority.asp
Wired Scholar Free Scholarship Search http://www.wiredscholar.com
William Randolph Hearst Endowed Scholarship for Minority Studentshttp://www.apsanet.org/PS/grants/aspen3.cfm
Multiple List of Minority Scholarships http://gehon.ir.miami.edu/financial-assistance/Scholarship/black.html
Guaranteed Scholarships http://www.guaranteed-scholarships.com/
BOEING scholarships http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/educationrelations/scholarships
Easley National Scholarship Program http://www.naas.org/senior.htm
Maryland Artists Scholarships http://www.maef.org/
Jacki Tuckfield Memorial Graduate Business Scholarship (for AfrAm students in South Florida ) http://www.jackituckfield.org/
Historically Black College & University Scholarshipshttp://www.iesabroad.org/info/hbcu.htm
Actuarial Scholarships for Minority Students http://www.beanactuary.org/minority/scholarships.htm
International Students Scholarships & Aid Helphttp://www.iefa.org/
College Board Scholarship Search http://cbweb10p.collegeboard.org/fundfinder/html/fundfind01.html
Burger King Scholarship Program http://www.bkscholars.csfa.org/
Siemens Westinghouse Competitionhttp://www.siemens-foundationorg/
GE and LuLac Scholarship Funds http://www.lulac.org/Programs/Scholar.html
CollegeNet's Scholarship Database http://mach25.collegenet.com/cgi-bin/M25/index
Union Sponsored Scholarships and Aid http://www.aflcioorg/scholarships/scholar.htm
Federal Scholarships & Aid Gateways 25 Scholarships Excel http://www.blackexcel.org/25scholarships.htm
Scholarship & Financial Aid Help http://www.blackexcel.org/fin-schhtm
Scholarship Links (Ed Finance Group) http://www.efg.net/link_scholarship.htm
Aid & Resources For Re-Entry Students http://www.back2college.com/
Scholarships and Fellowships http://www.osc.cuny.edu/sep/links.html
Scholarships for Study in Paralegal Studies http://www.paralegals.org/Choice/2000west.htm
HBCU Packard Sit Abroad Scholarships http://www.sit.edu/studyabroad/packard_nomination.html
Scholarship and Fellowship Opportunities http://ccmi.uchicago.edu/schl1.html
INROADS internships http://www.inroads.org/
ACT-SO "Olympics of the Mind" Scholarships http://www.naacp.org/work/actso/act-so.shtml
Black Alliance for Educational Options Scholarships http://www.baeo.org/options/privatelyfinanced.jsp
ScienceNet Scholarship Listing http://www.sciencenet.emory.edu/undergrad/scholarships.html
Graduate Fellowships For Minorities Nationwide http://cuinfo.cornell.edu/Student/GRFN/list.phtml?category=MINORITIES
The Roothbert Scholarship Fund http://www.roothbertfund.com