The Business Department offers a transfer curriculum to a four-year university, an AS Degree, and a certificate program designed to give the students both formal and practical training in accounting. The accounting AS degree and certificate programs are designed to give students enough practical experience so that they can secure a position in either the public, governmental, or private accounting sector when they have completed the recommended 25.5 - 29.5 units. Courses specifically required for the student’s major must be evaluated by a letter grade, not by the credit (CR) grade.
The Certificate of Achievement is designed for those individuals that are interested in job opportunities at the entry level in bookkeeping and or computerized accounting data entry. Those students that are interested in becoming professional bookkeepers may apply some of the course work in this certificate to the Certificate of Achievement in Accounting and the accounting A.S. degree.
The demand for entry level bookkeepers and accounting data entry personnel continues to remain high. Entry level positions pay between $15 and $25 per hour depending upon experience.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Students completing this program will be able to:
- Listen and communicate orally and in writing within the standards of their profession.
- Articulate major standard practices within Accounting and Business professions.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills required for Accounting, Business and Economics for which they have trained.
- Interpret financial data, analyze business issues and identify economic trends.
- Work independently and collaboratively within a team of accountants, business people and economists.
- Recognize ethical behavior in their chosen profession and behave in a socially responsible manner.