In the News
Do You Need Money for College? The Cañada College Scholarship Application is Now OpenTue, 21 January, 2014 at 12:27 pm
To apply, please see https://smccd.academicworks.com/opportunities. If you are a new applicant, click the Sign Up button to create your account. If a returning applicant, click Sign In to complete or update your scholarship application. The Application Deadline is February 13, 2014 at 11:59 p.m.
If you need assistance, please attend a Scholarship Application Workshop at Cañada College in the Financial Literacy Lab, Building 9-123.
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
1/27/14 – 2/10/14
5:30 pm – 6:30 pm
1/22/14 – 2/12/14
10:00 am – 11:00 am
1/17/14 – 2/7/14
1). Personal Statement: You will be able to type or copy and paste this directly into the application. An effective personal statement should contain enough information about you so the reader gets to “know” you. This may include any or all of the following:
- A brief personal history (where you grew up, if a recent immigrant, first to attend college, etc.).
- Your academic goals, transfer plans, and career plans.
- Your participation in community service, volunteerism, and extra-curricular activities (ASCC, clubs, sports, job, etc.).
- Awards, honors and achievements received (high GPA, Deans List, other scholarships or awards).
- Explanation of how the scholarship will help you meet your goals.
- Any financial need, obstacles or challenging circumstances you face or have overcome.
- Anything else you want to include for the scholarship review committee to know about you.
2). One Letter of Recommendation: It is preferred that you request this from a current or former college instructor or staff member who knows you well enough to be able to provide a positive assessment of your qualities and attributes that they think make you deserving of a scholarship. Recommenders will be emailed a secure link that allows them to write their recommendation directly into your scholarship application so PLEASE ASK THIS PERSON FIRST before entering their name and email address. Please provide them at least a two-week lead time from the application deadline to write your recommendation.
3). Upload copies of all college transcripts (you can request unofficial SMCCCD transcripts through WebSMART).
Please check the Cañada Scholarship Website at http://www.canadacollege.edu/financialaid/scholarship.phpfor additional information and other scholarship opportunities. Posted in: Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences, Biology, Medical Assisting, Earth Science, Engineering, Featured, Chemical Laboratory Technology, Geography, Computer Information Science, Math