AB 540 & Undocumented Students Rights & Student Services
Regardless of immigration status the student can apply for admission to a public college or university in California. The law allows students the following rights under AB 540 legislation:
- Public colleges and universities in California cannot discriminate in admission based on a student’s immigration status.
- Students are not required to show an ID or Social Security Card for admission.
- Students are not required to show proof of legal U.S. residency in the review of a college application.
AB 540 and undocumented students enrolled at Cañada College, have the right to access the same general services as other students. These services include:
- Tutoring Services
- Disabled Student Program and Services
- Admissions and Enrollment
- Financial Aid [check back periodically for updates regarding the Cal Grant Dream Application]
- Health Services
There are also many groups (online and local) dedicated to supporting undocumented students: