Student Services for Distance Education

To support Cañada College students who are unable to come to campus, we have the following student services available:


The application and registration processes are fully online. The application can be accessed through CCCApply. Students will need to apply in order to obtain a "G Number" and access their WebSMART account.

Registration and WebSMART

New students will receive their registration appointment once they have completed the orientation, assessment and counseling session. Continuing students will be notified by email of their registration date. All students can register online using WebSMART on or after their assigned date.


We have an online orientation program for new students to assist them in getting started at Cañada College. This program provides new students with a quick overview of college procedures and course scheduling, academic expectations, financial assistance, registration and assessment processes, and tips for student success.

Students are exempt from the New Student Orientation program if they can show evidence of having completed 12 or more college applicable units at another accredited college or university in the United States.

To sign up for the online orientation or to submit documentation to request exemption for the New Student Orientation, contact Jeanne Stalker at 650-306-3334/3452 or


Cañada College does accept assessment test results (COMPASS & Accuplacer) from other community colleges. Students are exempt from taking the placement tests if they have taken the College Board Advanced Placement Test in English or in math and scored above a 3, have completed the EAP and have tested into transfer level English and/or math or have completed the prerequisite coursework at an accredited college in the United States.

For further information on assessment, contact the Welcome Center at 650-306-3452.


Counseling services can be provided to our distance education students either through e-counseling or by setting up a half-hour phone appointment with one of our counselors through the Counseling Services office.

Students are exempt from the Counseling component if they can show evidence of having completed 12 or more college applicable units at another accredited college or university in the United States.

To make a phone appointment with a counselor or to submit documentation to request exemption for the Counseling component, contact our Welcome Center at 650-306-3452.

E-counseling services are available during the fall and spring semesters.


The Learning Center offers online tutoring through the Learning Center Peer Tutoring program and through NetTutor. Faculty can integrate both of these supports into their Canvas shells to give students access to tutoring directly within their Canvas course.

To find out more about online tutoring, contact Julian Taylor at (650) 306-3459 or at

Transcript Evaluation Services

Our district offers the evaluation of transcripts from colleges/ universities outside San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCCD). Our district includes Cañada College, College of San Mateo, and Skyline College.

To use the Transcript Evaluation Service you must:

  • Be currently enrolled in a San Mateo Community College District college
  • Be currently enrolled in at least 6 units OR Have previously completed 6 units in the SMCCCD OR have a combination of current enrollment and previously completed enrollment that adds up to at least 6 units.
  • Had all of your official transcripts (sealed in original envelopes) to Cañada College's Admissions Office in Building 9.
  • Plan to complete a certificate, associate degree, CSU GE certification or IGETC certification at one of the SMCCCD colleges.
  • Update your student information on WebSMART so that it reflects your current and accurate educational goal.

**You will receive a notification to your SMCCD email when your transcript evaluation is complete. Due to the number and complexity of requests received, please allow 6 to 8 weeks to receive results.


Degree Works is a tool in your student WebSMART account that you can use to monitor your progress toward your educational goals. Through Degree Works, you can view your progress toward a certificate, an associate degree, CSU GE, and/or IGETC completion.  When you request an official transcript evaluation through the SMCCCD Transcript Evaluation Service the results are loaded into your student Degree Works.