What makes a garment or a piece of jewelry masculine or feminine? To Adam Charron those definitions are not clear-cut, and any rules related to them are meant to be broken. “Why can’t a man wear a bracelet with a few pearls in it?” he asks.

Adam’s work is like nothing you’ve seen before. Mixing materials from metal to porcupine quills, he creates elaborate headpieces, chest-pieces and even wings. Some of his creations feature organic shapes resembling leaves with holes in them. It’s as though they decayed on the forest floor before Adam collected them. Simultaneously ancient and futuristic, hard and soft, beautiful and unsettling, Adam’s work grabs you and makes you stare, think, and wonder what makes this guy tick.

One of Adam’s otherworldly headpieces.

Adam’s background is varied, having served in the Navy as an aviation mechanic, then studying illustration and jewelry design in art school. He finished his Bachelor’s in Fine Arts but then “hit a slump.” Having worked for a leather tailor for a time, Adam wanted to take his sewing to the next level to create some of the designs he imagined. “I have my own industrial machine and regular machine, but I kept hitting this wall over and over again.” He discovered the fashion program at Cañada, and it was “very boom, boom, boom” after that.

Adam is thinking of earning both the technical and dressmaking certificates, with the idea of entering the field of film costuming in the future. “A friend of a friend [who does costuming for film] told me I would need French patternmaking and draping for any job I might want to get.”

Recently Adam was one of the winners of the department’s Red Carpet Challenge for his silver and red satin stunner. “I love drawing out really big elaborate costumes and then making them,” he explains.

Adam’s award-winning red carpet gown, front.
Adam’s award-winning red carpet gown, back.
A detail of the gorgeous applique work on Adam’s gown.

Learn more about Adam and his work on his website: Creations by Adam.