The ¡ESO! Adelante Program supports Latinx and low resourced students in their transfer pathway to San Francisco State University through transfer support programs at and San Francisco State University. At Cañada, ¡ESO! Adelante students connect to their relevant academic preparation and support programs to fulfill their potential and become competitive applicants. This program guarantees a supportive transfer experience to San Francisco State University with continued guidance from our ¡ESO! Adelante coordinator and peer mentors at San Francisco State.
Next Application Cycle is NOW OPEN. Applications are accepted on a ROLLING basis.
For more information, please contact Nimsi Garcia at (650) 670-8971 or email@example.com
As an ¡ESO! Adelante Peer Mentor, you will:
- Gain valuable work experience
- Increase leadership skills
- Serve as a positive role model to first time/new college students
- Support around 15 mentees for the academic school year
- Ensure that mentees engage in ¡ESO! Adelante program opportunities
- With the support of ESO! Adelante program staff, provide academic, transfer, and career support for mentees
- Maintain mentee files and ensure that they are up-to-date
- Outreach to new mentees and/or mentors
- Build and maintain a supportive community for college students
- With the support of ESO! Adelante program staff, coordinate and facilitate workshops for the ¡ESO! Adelante community
- Submit weekly reports detailing work completed
To Become a Peer Mentor, you must:
- Be eligible for the program itself. Check your eligibility here: https://canadacollege.edu/esoadelante/index.php
- Be available to work a minimum of 10 hours per week (maximum of 20 hours)
- Be able to commit to the full academic year with a portion of summer hours
- Be culturally sensitive and knowledgeable of the challenges college students face
- Be a continuing student and have successfully completed a full academic year at Cañada College
- Maintain at least a 2.75 cumulative G.P.A. and be enrolled in at least 6 academic units (part-time)
- Have an updated Student Educational Plan (SEP) on file
- Have transfer as a goal, preferably with SF State but not required
- Be eligible to work in the U.S.
To apply, you must submit the following materials:
- Online Application.
- Email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Résumé- your most current résumé.
- Letter of Recommendation from a Cañada instructor, supervisor, or staff member explaining why you would be a good Peer Mentor.
- Short Essay (approximately, 350 words). Respond to the following prompt. Your response should answer both questions. Feel free to number your responses:
There are many characteristics that contribute to making a great Peer Mentor. Please share your thoughts on what has prepared you to become a Mentor for college students by describing:
- A time where you've had to overcome a challenge at Cañada College and how you utilized your strengths and resources to overcome that challenge, and;
- Your thoughts on how you would support Hispanic students to graduate and transfer.
For more information, please contact Nimsi Garcia at (650) 670-8971 or email@example.com.