The ¡ESO! Adelante Program guides Hispanic, high need & high potential students through
their Cañada College experience with the support of dedicated staff and Peer Mentors
and through their transfer experience to San Francisco State University (SFSU). At
Cañada, ¡ESO! Adelante students connect to their relevant academic preparation and
support programs to fulfill their potential and become competitive applicants. This
program guarantees a supportive transfer experience to San Francisco State University
with continued guidance from our ¡ESO! Adelante coordinator and peer mentors at San
Fall APPLICATIONS DUE BY: Friday, September 14th, 2018 by 4:00pm**
These applications will be for either a Fall or Spring start date depending on the
applicants availability and circumstance.
As an ¡ESO! Adelante Peer Mentor, you will:
- Gain valuable work experience
- Increase leadership skills
- Serve as a positive role model to first time/new college students
- Support around 15 mentees for the academic school year
- Ensure that mentees engage in ¡ESO! Adelante program opportunities
- With the support of ESO! Adelante program staff, provide academic, personal, and career
support for mentees
- Maintain mentee files and ensure that they are up-to-date
- Outreach to new mentees and/or mentors
- Build and maintain a supportive community for college students
- With the support of ESO! Adelante program staff coordinate and facilitate various
workshops for the ¡ESO! Adelante community ie Managing your Class Schedule, Time Management,
and Study Skills
- Participate in the Adelante student organization.
- Submit weekly reports detailing work completed
To Become a Peer Mentor, you Must:
- Be available to work a minimum of 10 hours per week (maximum of 20 hours)
- Be able to commit to the full academic year with a portion of summer hours
- Be culturally sensitive and knowledgeable of the challenges college students face
- Be a continuing student and have successfully completed a full academic year at Cañada
- Maintain at least a 2.75 cumulative G.P.A. and be enrolled in at least 6 academic
- Have an updated Student Educational Plan (SEP) on file
- Have transfer as a goal , preferably with SF State, but not required
To apply, you must submit the following materials:
- Online Application.
- Email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Résumé- your most current résumé.
- Letter of Recommendation from an instructor, supervisor, or staff member explaining
why you would be a good Peer Mentor.
- Short Essay (approximately, 350 words) response to the following prompt:
There are many characteristics that contribute to making a great Peer Mentor. Please
share your thoughts on what has prepared you to become a Mentor for college students
- A time where you've had to overcome a challenge at Cañada College and how you utilized
your strengths and resources to overcome that challenge.
- Your thoughts on how you would support Hispanic students to graduate and transfer.
For more information, please contact Ada Ocampo, (650) 381-3509 or email@example.com