ePortfolio Program Templates
Why do you need a program-specific template?
There is a college-wide template that serves as the foundation for all ePortfolios used in the college. This template includes an "Academics" tab in which students can post work showing how they meet the Institutional Learning Outcomes. However, each student also has a "Major/Program" tab that should be specific for his/her own program of study. This tab must be customized to contain the specific Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs) for the particular certificate or degree that the student is pursuing.
- Select one person from the program to create and be responsible for the program's template.
- Work together to create a rubric for assessing the the Program page of the portfolio.
- Make sure that all faculty in the program have access to the rubric.
- Help other faculty in your program to identify which of the assignments they currently use are signature assignments.
- Encourage faculty in your program to ask students to write reflections on their assignments.
How do you create a program-specific template?
- Go to my.smccd.edu and click on the Student Email Login button, and log in using your my.smccd.edu username and password. You can’t use your normal faculty email login! If you don’t have a my.smccd.edu account, you will need to request one using the ITS request form on the district portal. If you have one but cannot remember your password, log into WebSmart and scroll to the bottom of the page. You’ll see your my.smccd.edu login credentials listed.
- In your browser, type sites.google.com in the URL field.
- Click on Create
- Click on Browse the gallery for more
- In the search field, type in “Cañada College E-Portfolio Template” and click on the magnifying glass icon. From the resulting list, scroll down and click on the college’s template to see more detailed information about the template.
- At the bottom of the screen (you may have to scroll down) click Select.
- Enter a name for your site (e.g. Cañada Viticulture ePortfolio Template) and click the Create button at the top of the page. Wait. Creating the site takes time.
- Click on the Major/Program tab and then click on the Edit Page (pencil icon), to enter edit mode.
- Delete the instructions that are found just above the first table entitled “Program Learning Outcome 1”. In the PLO box, delete the instructions in red and replace the example with the first PLO from your own program.
- Continue editing each of the three PLO boxes replacing the examples with your own program PLOs. If you need to add more than 3 PLOs, you can copy one of the boxes and paste to add a fourth box. When you are finished editing the page, click on the Save button at the top of the page. Your template is now ready to share with students.
- To enable students to see your template, you must first make it visible to others. Click the blue Share button at the top of the page. Then, under the section entitled, Who has access” you will change the settings by clicking on the Change… link.
- Select Skyline, Canãda and College of San Mateo. Then click the Save button.
- You are almost done BUT there is one final VERY IMPORTANT step. If you don’t do this last step, your template will be visible to students, but they won’t be able to use it as a template. To allow them to use your it, you need to save your site as a “template”. Go to the left side menu and click General.
- Enter a site name and description and then click the Save button on the top of the page. Finally, click the Publish this site as a template button located at the bottom of the page.
- Enter a name for your template and a description, then click on the Submit button.