Student FAQ's


1:  How do I sign up for DRC Services?

Answer: Please go to our How to register page to complete the online intake form.  


2. Whom should I send my documentation to verifying my disability?

Answer: You will be asked to upload your documentation onto our intake form, which is available online.  If you experience any difficulties, please contact us at and ask us for assistance.  


3.  Will I get all the same accommodations that I get in my High School IEP or 504 Plan?

Answer: Maybe. A high school plan (IEP or 504) governs the high school setting. A DRC counselor will meet with you to determine your current functional limitations and work with you on developing accommodations for the college setting.   


4. My disability is not “visible”, do I still qualify?

Answer: Yes. The DRC serves many hidden disabilities such as:

  • ADHD
  • Chronic illness (e.g., AIDS, cancer, Lyme disease, etc.)
  • Epilepsy or seizure disorders
  • Learning disabilities
  • Psychiatric (psychological) disorders
  • Recovering drug or alcohol addiction


5. Do students have to pay any fees for accommodations or services?

Answer: There is no cost to register with the DRC.


6. I think I may have a disability but I’m not sure. What should I do?

Answer: Email us to schedule an appointment with a counselor to discuss why you think you have a disability at  We want to meet you as soon as possible, so we can help you.  


7. What are my rights as a student with a documented disability?

Answer: As a college student with a documented disability, you have the right to “reasonable accommodations based upon your educational limitations” under Title 5 of the California Education Code and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Provisions of the law state that “No otherwise qualified person with a disability in the Unites States shall, solely by reason of disability, be denied the benefits of, be excluded from participation in, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.”


8. What are my responsibilities as a student who is registered with the DRC?

Answer: Firstly, it is your responsibility to register with the DRC if you would like to receive academic accommodations. Secondly, it is your responsibility to request accommodations every semester and complete a new AAP every year to continue receiving accommodations.  Lastly, it is your responsibility to deliver your accommodation memos to your professors and meet with them to discuss how your accommodations will be implemented in their classes.  


9. Is all information that is disclosed to DRC treated confidentially and respectfully?

Answer: Yes. The DRC treats all student information and communication as confidential.  If students would like us to release information to a third party (including to their parents), they must complete a "Release of Information" form.


10. Will the Department of Rehabilitation support me at Cañada College?

Answer: Yes. The Department of Rehabilitation helps prepare disabled persons for employment and since education is necessary for competitive employment opportunities, the Department of Rehabilitation will assist college students (e.g. enrollment fees, books, supplies, and a transportation allowance, as well as counseling and job placement). If you have any more questions contact the DRC at  


11. Are all students with disabilities required to register with the DRC office?

Answer: No. Students with disabilities do not have to register with the DRC, but this means that their professors are not legally obligated to provide academic accommodations to them.


12.  What should I do if my instructor will not give me my approved accommodations?

Answer: Contact your DRC counselor or director as soon as possible, so they can contact the instructor.  Your instructor may not understand how to implement your accommodations and requires guidance from us. 


13.  Do my instructors know about my disabilities?

Answer: No. Your DRC file (including documentation of your disability) is considered confidential. The only way any of your instructors would know about your disability is if you disclose it to them yourself.