San Francisco State University Admission Requirements
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
The upper division SF State/Sequoia Baccalaureate Nursing Program at Cañada Colleg BSN) prepares students for enry level positions in professional nursing practice in a variety o settings including hospitals, community clinics, long-term care, home care, and community health agencies. It also provides the basis for leadership and graduate education in nursing.
The SF State/Sequoia BSN program was founded in 2004 as a four-way partnership among the Sequoia Health Care District, Sequoia Hospital, Cañada College, and San Francisco State University. The goal of this partnership is to increase nursing enrollment to help address the nursing shortage, specifically the shortage affecting the San Francisco Bay Are and the southern portion of San Mateo County. The program provides 32 spaces each year for qualified students who seek a nursing Bachelor of Science degree. Additional information about SF State Nursing undergraduate programs, including the BSU curriculum plan and student learning outcomes, can be obtained in the nursing section of the SF State Bulletin.
The SF State/Sequoia Nursing program will also be conducting interviews as part of the application process. Applicants that are chosen for the interview will be contacted in late February of 2016
Transfer applicants must submit an application for admission to undergraduate studies at SFSU in addition to the School of Nursing Baccalaureate Admission Application and supporting documentation. To complete an application for admission to undergraduate studies at SFSU, please visit the CSU Mentor website at www.csumentor.edu.
Admission Overview - Two Applications and Deadlines
Submit an application for admission to undergraduate studies through CSU Mentor. Complete details concerning this portion of the process is available on the Future Students section of the SF State website. The application period for CSU Mentor is from October 1st and November 30th.
The SF State School of Nursing is participating in the American Association of Colleges of Nursing Centralized Application Service, NursingCAS 3.0. The mandatory supplemental application will be available beginning October 15th and will be due by January 15th - www.nursing.sfsu.edu. All prospective students who wish to apply to our programs will use this service to complete the School of Nursing's supplemental application process. NursingCAS 3.0 can be accesssed here: http://www.nursingcas.org
The following materials or requirements must be submitted through NursingCAS 3.0 by the application deadline:
- Prerequisite course information
- Official transcripts from each college or community college attended
- Letter of verification for health related or multi-cultural work or volunteer experiences - all letters must be on professional letterhead
- Page 1 of the TEAS-V Individual Performance Profile (test results)
Eligibility and Prerequisite Information
Prospective students must be admissible to SF State in accordance with existing criteria. The School of Nursing reserves the right to make changes in the admissions process or curriculum to accommodate programmatic needs. Students will be advised and assisted in making adjustments to these changes.
In addition, prospective students must meet the following requirement to apply:
- Be a California resident or eligible for CSU in-state tuition.
- Have a prerequisite GPA of 3.0 or higher at the time of application.
- Earn a minimum grade of C in all prerequisite courses. Repeat of a prerequisite course is acceptable.
- Complete the prerequisite courses noted below
- Applicants may apply to only one of the programs offered by SFSU School of nursing in a given admission year.
- Score 78 or higher on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS-V) within three attempts.
Major Preparation/Prerequisite Courses at Cañada College:
Human Anatomy – BIOL 250
Human Physiology – BIOL 260
Survey of Chemistry – CHEM 410
General Microbiology – BIOL 240
Written Communication – ENGL 100
Oral Communication – COMM 110 (Or select one course from the certification list of CSU GE Breadth Area A-1: Oral Communication)
Critical Thinking – ENGL 110 (Or select one course from the certification list of CSU GE Breadth Area A-3: Critical Thinking)
Quantitative Reasoning – MATH 200
No more than one of the prerequisites should be remaining in progress during the spring semester/winter quarter following submission of an application.
Important Additional Information
In addition to the 8 required prerequisites, the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) requires ALL pre-licensure students to have completed two additional courses:
- Anthropology or Sociology (any 1 course in either)
- Psychology (any 1 course)
Supplemental (Optional) Criteria for Sequoia Program
In addition to selection by grade point average in the prerequisites, supplemental criteria will be considered for admission to the program. The supplemental criteria are not mandatory; however, it is to your advantage to document the one(s) that you do qualify for:
- Health-related work or volunteer experience. These experiences must be substantiated with a document or letter on formal organizational stationery.
- Multicultural work or volunteer experience and/or fluency in a language other than English. These experiences must be substantiated with a document or letter on formal organizational stationery.
- Live and/or work in the Sequoia Healthcare District (see Sequoia Healthcare District website for specific zip codes included in the district) for at least two years. Must be documented with utility bill, mortgage, or rent payment.
- Complete at least half of the required prerequisite classes within the San Mateo County Community College District (College of San Mateo, Skyline, or Cañada).