One of the key components contributing to COLTS Academy and students’ success is the peer-to-peer connection. We are currently hiring continuing Cañada students to work as a dynamic and outgoing team of Peer Leaders during the Academy. Peer Leaders will facilitate fun and interactive ice breakers, be a mentor to a group of at least 10 students a day, and help to ensure the success of COLTS Academy. The Academy features fun and interactive workshops, a powerful mix of peer leaders, staff, faculty, and administrators. Our hope is that the COLTS participants will walk away with the tools to connect, lead and succeed as they embark on their new journey at Cañada College.
COLTS 1 is aimed to support the new, incoming student who recently graduated from high school have a smooth transition into their first year at Cañada. We are looking for 10 continuing students to work as a team of peer leaders to support 50 incoming students. COLTS 1 starts on Monday, July 27 and ends Thursday, July 30. Peer Leader training is on Tuesday, July 21 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
COLTS 2 is aimed to support the continuing student by helping them develop academic strategies to help them become a successful student. We are looking for 7 continuing students to work as a team to support 35 continuing students. COLTS 2 starts on Monday, June 8 and ends on Friday, June 12. Peer Leader training is on Wednesday, June 3 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
To apply, please click the following link: COLTS Peer Leader Application
Applications are due by June 1, 2015, 12 p.m.
- Manage a group of at least 7-10 participants during COLTS Academy
- Work with either new, incoming students or continuing students at Cañada
- Ensure that participants are attending each day of the Academy and are actively participating in all activities
- Co-facilitate daily ice breakers with COLTS Academy participants
- Provide academic, personal, and career support for participants
- Develop positive relationships with COLTS Academy participants, staff, volunteers, and other peer leaders
- Assist with other duties as needed
Mandatory Requirements for Mentors:
- Must be culturally sensitive and aware of the diverse needs of college students
- Must be a successful continuing Cañada student
- Must have at least a 2.5 cumulative G.P.A.
- Must follow the Student Code of Conduct
- Must have an updated Student Educational Plan (SEP) on file
- Must be enrolled in at least 3 units during Summer 2015
For more info contact Trish Guevarra at email@example.com or 650-381-3528.