Catherine E. Fraser
Director, Center for Entrepreneurial Opportunities, Educator, Small Business Advisor
Catherine Fraser is the definition of a true entrepreneur. In 1989 she founded an agency specializing in recruitment advertising. Her innovative way of doing business proved successful and Fraser Advertising soon became one of the premier agencies in the San Francisco Bay Area. Based on an "entrepreneur as employee" concept, most staff members worked from their own home office, unheard of at that time. Quick growth allowed further expansion and F2 Design was added to the mix, incorporating full service advertising and marketing. A unique Pre-IPO Job Fair product was created during the dot com boom and proved to be a model for other entities across the country. The core business of Fraser Advertising involved planning and implementing creative strategies for clients throughout the country in a variety of industries from hi tech to medical, food service to customer service. They designed and developed nationally recognized and award-winning campaigns in all types of media; created newsletters, advertisements, collateral, point of purchase materials, logo concepts, websites, internet advertising and marketing; special events and promotions. The companies were sold to Bernard Hodes Group, a division of publicly traded Omnicom, in 2002.
Prior to this, Catherine worked for various advertising agencies throughout California in a variety of capacities including starting new branch offices, sales, account management and training. She also worked in the Marketing Dept. of Stuart Anderson’s Black Angus Restaurant chain.
Teaching and Business Coach Experience
Catherine has been on the faculty of Cañada College in Redwood City since 1997, where she teaches entrepreneurship skills and business planning tools in the classroom. She performs speaking engagements on the subject of small business. People throughout San Mateo County also benefit from her one-on-one meetings with budding entrepreneurs and existing micro-businesses. Ms. Fraser has taught Business 100 as well as Marketing 180 at the College of San Mateo. She brings a practical, humorous and hands-on approach to her teaching style, encouraging others to benefit from her experiences as a business owner.
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA
Bachelor of Science, Journalism. Concentration in Public Relations and Advertising.
- Redwood City/San Mateo County Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors-1994-2008
- Athena Award recipient as Business Woman of the Year, 2001
- Sequoia Awards Board of Directors, Publicity Chair. Stepped to Advisory in 2008
- Sequoia YMCA Board of Directors and current Chairperson
- Redwood City Downtown Business Association--Former Board of Directors/founding member,
- San Mateo County History Museum--Former Marketing Committee
- AIRAA (Association of Independent Recruitment Advertising Agencies)- an affiliation of 17 advertising agencies around the world, President
- Small Business Development Board for San Mateo County
- Redwood City Education Foundation Advisory Board,
- Redwood City International, Advisory Board,
- Redwood City's Partnership Academy for Community Teamwork (PACT) graduate
- Community Builder graduate